Monday, January 11, 2010

Day One of Week One - Exercise, Diet, and a Recipe For Roasted Butternut Squash Soup!

Here on this blog, I am going to record EVERYthing that I eat. I promise! I may cheat at what I eat from time to time, but I will always record it all to keep myself accountable. I will also record the time I spend on exercise and what I do. My weekly weigh-ins are an important part of the process, so I will record them as well.

And, if I have a low-fat, low cal recipe that I especially enjoy, I will share it here, too!

Weight - 142

EXERCISE
64 minutes of Tae Bo, using 2 lb hand weights and 1.5 lb leg weights for the main part of the workout. And when I way the "main part" I am talking about 40-50 minutes of my workout, which excludes the warm up and cool down time.

BREAKFAST
16 OZ Fruit Protein Smoothie
0 fat, 270 calories
SNACK
veggie sticks - 25 calories
1/2 T ranch - 3g fat, 30 cal
LUNCH
1 cup Roasted Butternut Sq Soup
4.5g fat, 145 cal
1 slice WW bread
1.5 fat, 110 cal
SNACK
8 oz fruit smoothie
80 cal
DINNER
3/4 c spaghetti sauce
4g fat, 185 cal
2 oz. ww noodles
1g fat, 190 cal
2T grated parmesan cheese
2.5g fat, 36 cal
SNACK
16 oz fruit smoothie
160 cal
popcorn
5g fat, 250 cal

Totals - 21.5g fat, 1481 calories

ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
1 three pound butternut squash
1 T olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 C chopped carros
1 bay leaf
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1 Granny Smith apple - peeled, cored, cubed
2 C apple cider
2 quarts chicken stock
1 12 oz can evaporated milk
1 T brown sugar


Put squash in the oven at 350 and bake until soft. Let cool, then peel & remove seeds. Cut into chucks and put back into the oven to roast until very tender.

Combine olive oil, onion, celery, and carrots in pot and saute until soft. Combine remianing ingredients (except for evaporated milk and brown sugar) in crock pot and cook on high until apple and squash are very soft. Puree with immersion blender and then add evaporated mild and brown sugar to taste.

Yield: 16 one-cup servings
4.5g fat
5.6g protein
145 calories
I put individual servings into small freezer bags and thaw them when I'm ready for lunch or a snack
Recipe Courtesy of SparkPeople.com)

4 comments:

Laura Dale said...

Ok girlfriend I got my eye on you now!
Good job getting the blog up and running! Don't forget to post a front & side before pic (no bikini's required) I promise this helps a lot to stay motivated & you'll be surprised how much your body changes :)

Sep said...

Don't worry about the fat in your diet. It's the amount of calories, whether it comes from protein, carbs, or fat, that will determine if you maintain your weight, gain some or lose some.

Now, if a low-fat diet helps you to keep those calories down, then by all means go for it. Make sure you're eating your essential fats though. But realize that this is not the only way to get slim. Some people go on a low-carb diet. Eating fat makes them fill full, so they don't eat as many calories. Others just eat less of everything.

Good luck.

Loralee said...

Sep- Thanks for your input!
And I know that fat is an important part of a healthy diet. I watch the fat grams, though, because it does cause me to overeat calories if I eat high-fat foods. I also try to stay away from the non-fat or low-fat products, and just use less of the regular stuff, because the flavor suffers. And since I workout six days a week for an hour or more on average, I need to make sure I eat enough - but not too many - carbs for energy.
I love the feedback from people who stumble across this blog. It helps keep me motivated!

Helms Family said...

Your braver than I am posting about it. But it does keep you accountable. You can do it!! I have set a goal myself to loose 50 lbs by my birthday at the end of May. So this will help!! You had some good ideas there. Thanks!